Faculty list (A-Z)
List of the department laboratories
Department of Biological and Environmental Science
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry
Department of Environment and Forest Resources Science
Masaaki Yamada, Takashi Tanaka
Adhesives are essential for engineered wood products manufacturing and the effective use of forest biomass. We have been trying to understand the physical and chemical properties of wood adhesives and those effects on the properties of engineered wood products. We are also making efforts to create strong, green and durable wood adhesives with state-of-the-art technologies.
Lab members (as of Nov 2017):
Dr. Masaaki Yamada, Professor
Dr. Takashi Tanaka, Assistant Professor
Graduate students: 9 students (1 PhD program student and 8 Master’s programs students)
Undergraduates: 11 students (6 fourth-year students and 5 third-year students)
Current research topics:
1) Creating environmentally friendly adhesives from biodegradable polyvinyl alcohol and natural resources
2) Improving adhesion to types of wood that are difficult to glue
3) Creating durable adhesives used for house constructions and large-scale timber structures.
4) Investigating VOC emissions from housing materials and indoor air quality
5) Utilization of charcoals from waste biomass for effective and cyclical use of natural resources
6) Nondestructive measurement of the properties of wood and engineered wood products using X-ray densitometry and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry
7) Exploring the effects of wood adhesives on the hygrothermal properties of wood-based materials
Hot press equipment
Vacuum and pressure impregnation equipment
High frequency induction heating equipment
Universal testing machines (TENSILONs)
Universal testing machine (AMSLER)
Universal testing machine (AUTOGRAPH)
Differential scanning calorimetry equipment
Thermomechanical analysis equipment
VOC emission measurement equipment
Liquid chromatography equipment
Infrared spectroscopy equipment
Contact angle measurement equipment
Digital X-ray imaging system
Air permeability measurement equipment (water displacement method)
Constant temperature and humidity room
Processing room (equipped with a table saw and a drill press)
Student experiments room (equipped with a conditioning chamber and drying ovens)
Scanning electron microscopy equipment
The major Isocyanate compounds.
Improving bond strength employing the effect of phase separation.
Synthesizing Urea-formaldehyde and phenol-formaldehyde resins.
Isocyanate derivatives formed by the reactions of pMDI (polymeric methylene diphenyl diisocyanate) and water.
Visualization of the deposition of a dissolved substance in the sap of wood after drying by means of X-ray imaging.
Visualization of resin concentration inhomogeneity in a glued laminated timber made with a water based polymer isocyanate adhesive using a newly developed nondestructive method based on X-ray densitometry.
Hot press equipment