Shizuoka University’s Faculty of Agriculture was established in April, 1947, under the Technical Schools Act, as the Shizuoka Prefectural Technical School of Agriculture and Forestry in Iwata City, Shizuoka Prefecture. There were 40 students in the Department of Agriculture that first year, and 30 students in the Department of Forestry. In 1950, the school was elevated to the level of Prefectural University of Agriculture, due to a reorganization of the Japanese Educational System, and the following year, 1951, Shizuoka became a National University, and the department then became Shizuoka University’s Faculty of Agriculture.
A Department of Agricultural and Horticultural Chemistry was added in 1953, a Department of Forest Products was added in 1966, and subsequently a Department of Horticulture was added in 1967. The Faculty of Agriculture then had a faculty consisting of five departments: the Departments of Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Forest Products, and Agricultural and Horticultural Chemistry. At that time there were 150 students.
In 1970, an Agriculture Major, a Forest Products Major, and an Agricultural and Horticultural Chemistry Major were offered at the master’s level in the graduate school of agriculture. Subsequently, in 1971, a Horticulture Major and a Forestry Major were added. In view of its prospects for future development, the Faculty of Agriculture was moved to Ohya, in Shizuoka City in April of 1973, where it is now. In April of 1989, the existing five departments and 25 courses were reorganized, resulting in three departments: the Departments of Biological Production Science, Forest Resources Science, and Applied Biological Chemistry with nine major courses.
In 1991, Shizuoka University, Shinshu University, and Gifu University, all located in the Chubu Region, became affiliated. Jointly, they began to offer a doctoral degree program by establishing the Unified Graduate School of Agricultural Science, with Gifu University as the key university.
In April of 1996, a Department of Environmental Science for Human Life was added, and the Faculty of Agriculture was reorganized into four departments (the Departments of Human and Environmental Science, Biological Production Science, Forest Resources Science, and Applied Biological Chemistry) with eight major courses.
In April of 2000, and Environmental Science for Human Life Major was added, and the graduate school was reorganized to include four majors.
In April of 2002, the four adjunct facilities (the farm, practical forest reserves, the dry farming experiment and practice facility, and the fish prey experimentation and practice facility) were integrated, and the Center for Education and Research in Field Sciences was established.
In April of 2006, the Faculty of Agriculture was reorganized into three departments (Department of Biological and Environmental Science, Environment and Forest Resources Science, and Applied Biological Chemistry) with five major courses.
In 2006, a Graduate School of Science and Technology (a doctoral program) was created at Shizuoka University.
In April of 2007, the Faculty of Agriculture was reorganized into three majors (Biological and Environmental Science Major, Environment and Forest Resources Science Major, and Applied Biological Chemistry Major).
In April of 2015, Graduate School of Informatics, Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Engineering and Graduate School of Agriculture abolished, and Graduate School of Integrated Science and Technology (Master's Course) established. Academic Institute (College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Education, College of Informatics, College of Science, College of engineering, College of agriculture and College of Global-Interdisciplinary Studies) established as Organization of Reserchers.
In April of 2016, the Faculty of Agriculture was reorganized into two departments (Department of Bioresource Sciences with four major courses, and Department of Applied Life Sciences).